The benefits of strawberries are rich in Vitamin C, Manganese and Potassium. Eight strawberries contain the same amount of vitamin C as an orange. Pairs of this fruit match the weight to increase the body’s resistance to disease.
In addition to strengthening the immune system Benefits of Strawberries have several –
- It is good for people with high blood pressure and heart disease because they have almost no sodium. This fruit helps in preventing blood pressure.
- The ingredients in strawberries keep the heart healthy from harmful cholesterol.
- It contains lots of antioxidants, flavonoids and polyphenols. The ingredients in it keep the arteries of the heart well.
- Strawberries reduce the harmful fat LDL in the human body.
- Many people tend to get cold easily this season. Taking this fruit daily protects the body from various infections.
. Strawberries have a lot of fiber, which helps in relieving diabetes and constipation.
. Many are now worried about being overweight. Eating strawberries every day removes excess fat from the body easily.
. Hair loss is a problem for everyone nowadays. Regularly eating this fruit prevents hair loss.
- Memory tends to decrease with age. But taking this fruit helps to enhance memory.
10 Strawberries help prevent cancer cell growth. As a result, regular consumption of strawberries does not lead to the formation of cancer cells.
Use of strawberries:
Strawberry is a fruit that almost everyone likes. It is widely used in color, smell and taste. Strawberries are widely used in the production of various foods such as ice cream, cakes, cookies, squash, syrups, jams, jellies, candies, chocolates. Strawberries are also used in many protein bars, supplement foods, and medicines.
However, it is more beneficial to mix it with salad or eat it raw. Usually, this sweet and juicy fruit is eaten with desserts and ice cream. Because of its sweetness and juicyness, many people like to eat only strawberries like other fruits. A variety of sweet dishes or desserts are made with strawberries. Here are some tips to help you enjoy this sweet, fragrant fruit in many different ways –
- Like other fruits strawberries can be eaten raw. Before eating, of course, wash the fruit well in water, wipe it dry with a paper towel and then eat it. You can also eat strawberries by steaming them in hot water for a while or by washing them in hot water and disinfecting them. Even strawberry seeds are edible.
- To make the green salad even tastier, you can add pieces of sour-sweet strawberries.
- Strawberry Moose is a favorite dessert of many. Strawberry pieces are also spread on top of other confectionery items or in desserts.
- If you want to look good and enjoy a delicious dessert, arrange layers of strawberries, whole blueberries and plain yogurt or yoghurt in a wine glass.
- To make coulis sauce, blend strawberry in a mixer and mix it with orange juice. Strawberry pieces can be mixed with any shake or sauce to make it more nutritious and colorful.
- Many of us love to eat strawberry pie. It’s easier said than done. This sweet, nutritious and delicious dessert can be made by crushing strawberries and baking a little by spreading delicious creamy filling or pur on it.
- Strawberries can be added not only to dessert but also to the main dish. Chicken Strawberry Salad is a worthy example of such a main dish. The taste of chicken, tangy vinegar, blue cheese with strawberry sour-sweet taste and sweet aroma adds a different dimension to the dish and makes it much more nutritious.
- Strawberry crumbs can also be topped with pizza. Spread soft cheese, pesto and strawberry crumbs on your favorite pizza dough and grill. The nutritional value of the food will also increase with the change of taste.
- Strawberry Avogado Salsa is a very nutritious and fun dish. This dessert can be served as a snack with roasted chicken or soaked fish. If you have baked tortilla chips with you, then your snack time will be frozen.
- You can make fragrant tea with strawberries. After boiling tea leaves and a cup of strawberry paste in water for a while, cover the pot for about 5 minutes. Now strain the tea and mix it with ice cubes and sugar and see what strawberry tea looks like. Oh yes, you can garnish the drink with strawberry crumbs if you want.
- You can also try many new recipes made with strawberries. Here are some tongue watering recipes made with strawberries.
Side effects of strawberries:
You know the benefits of strawberries and how to eat them. Nutritious strawberries do not have any side effects. However, overeating can be harmful to you. Let’s take a look at the disadvantages of strawberries.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding:
Although it is safe to eat a normal amount of strawberries during pregnancy and breastfeeding, not enough research has been done to find out what will happen if you eat too much. However, it is important to consult a doctor before starting any diet during pregnancy.
If there is bleeding disorder:
Strawberries can prolong bleeding time, so it can increase the risk for sensitive people if they get a lot of injuries. If you have a bleeding problem, you should start eating rose strawberries only with the advice of a doctor. Also, if you have had surgery lately, don’t eat too much strawberries as strawberries can delay blood clotting. If surgery is scheduled, stop eating strawberries at least 2 weeks in advance. However, no special research has been done on this subject.
Side effects of eating extra strawberries:
Excessive intake of strawberries can cause your body to accumulate large amounts of potassium. Excess potassium can cause heart related problems. Also, you may have hyperkalemia which can cause muscle weakness and paralysis.
When eating strawberries, keep in mind that they are high in fiber, so overeating can lead to diarrhea, gas and stomach cramps.
People with hemochromatosis (excess iron accumulation in the body) who eat too much strawberries may have a worse condition.
Strawberries are popular all over the world due to their rich nutritional and health benefits. So from today onwards, you can include strawberries in your daily diet. However, the extra strawberry meal or its side effects should also be kept in mind. For example, if you have kidney problems, you should be careful about eating strawberries.
Who doesn’t like to eat strawberries or strawberry flavor? Strawberries are the name of the game for almost everyone, from food lovers to health conscious people. This strawberry is a very popular fruit, very tasty, low in calories and rich in many vitamins and minerals. This red tuktuk juicy fruit is now available in the market almost all year round.
These healthy berries are usually eaten with sweets or desserts. Eating strawberries at breakfast is extremely beneficial for being low calorie and high in fiber. Strawberries can be given to a child even after he is 1 year old. As soon as the child starts eating solid food, you can feed the child strawberries with other fruits every day. However, many children have allergies to strawberries, so be sure to consult a doctor before feeding the baby strawberries. other read more
The Modern production techniques of strawberries Fruit
Strawberry Fragaria ananasa) is a shrub belonging to the family Rosaceae. Strawberries are highly regarded for their attractive color, aroma, taste and high nutritional value. Although strawberries are a vitamin C-rich fruit, they also contain sufficient amounts of other vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Apart from being eaten directly as a fruit, it is also widely used to enhance the beauty and aroma of various foods. Although strawberry soil is the fruit of temperate countries, it is being cultivated commercially in various countries of South, East and Southeast Asia due to the development of cultivable strawberry varieties in tropical regions.
Although our country does not produce much fruit in winter season, it is possible to cultivate strawberries successfully. On the other hand, since it is sold at a very high price in the market, its cultivation is very profitable. At present strawberry is being cultivated successfully in about 25 districts of Bangladesh. BARI has been conducting research on various aspects of strawberry cultivation for a long time and has so far developed three high yielding varieties of strawberries suitable for cultivation throughout Bangladesh through selection process.
Nutrition and Usage Agriculture:
- Strawberry is a very nutritious fruit. The nutrients present in 100 grams of shells are-
- Water 91.7 ml, food energy 30 kcal, meat 0.61, fat 0.38, sugar 6.01, crude fiber 2.29 g, calcium 13.69, iron 0.38, magnesium 9.82, phosphorus 16 .75, potassium 16.00, vitamin C 57.00, niacin 0.23 mg, vitamin A 26.00 international units.
- Jam, jelly, squash, juice, ice cream, candy etc. can be made by strawberries. Strawberries can be used in mixed fruit cocktails. Strawberry puree can be stored for a long time in the refrigerator.
- Soil and Climate: Strawberries are mainly mild winter mainland crops. But some varieties are comparatively heat tolerant and can be called summer varieties. For these varieties day and night temperature of 20-26 degree and 12-16 degree Celsius are required respectively.
- Dry weather is required during flowering and fruiting. Strawberry varieties are suitable for Rabi season cultivation in Bangladesh climate. This fertile loam to sandy loam soil is good for strawberry cultivation.
Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute has developed 3 high yielding varieties named Barry Strawberry-1, Barry Strawberry-2 and Barry Strawberry-3 through selection process considering the growing popularity of strawberries. Besides, improved varieties of strawberries have been developed from Bangladesh Agricultural University and Rajshahi University. The following are the main features of the strawberry varieties invented by Barry.
A high yielding variety suitable for cultivation everywhere in Bangladesh. The tree starts flowering in mid-November and fruits can be harvested from December to March. The tree bears an average of 32 fruits per tree with an average weight of 450 grams. Yield 10-12 tons per hectare. Heart-shaped fruits of small to medium size with an average weight of 14 grams. The ripe fruits are attractive and red in color. The skin of the fruit is soft and slightly rough. One hundred percent of the fruit is edible. The characteristic fragrant fruit of strawberries tastes sour-sweet. The variety is easy to propagate as it produces sufficient runner and seedlings.
A high yielding variety suitable for cultivation everywhere in Bangladesh. The variety has been collected from Florida, USA and released through selection process by testing the climate adaptation of Bangladesh. The tree starts flowering in early December and fruits can be harvested from December to March. Holds an average of 36 fruits per tree. The average yield per plant is 640 grams. Yield per hectare is 14-18 tons.
The heart-shaped fruit is quite large, the edges are flattened. The ripe fruits are attractive and red in color. The skin of the fruit is moderately soft and slightly rough. One hundred percent of the fruit is edible. The characteristic fragrant fruit of strawberries tastes sour-sweet. The variety produces a limited number of runners during the fruiting season, which requires less labor to remove the runner.
A high yielding variety cultivable everywhere in Bangladesh. The variety has been collected from Florida, USA and released through selection process by testing the climate adaptation of Bangladesh. The tree starts flowering in mid-December and fruits can be harvested from late December to April. Holds an average of 39 fruits per tree. The average yield per plant is 60 grams.
Yield per hectare is 15-20 tons. The heart-shaped fruit is quite large, oblong, with margins. The ripe fruits are attractive and red in color. The skin of the fruit is relatively hard and slightly rough. One hundred percent of the fruit is edible. The flavor of the fragrant fruit characteristic of strawberries is sweet. Because the variety produces a limited number of runners during the fruiting season, it takes less labor to remove the runner.
Strawberry has a narrow vine-like stem emerging from the compacted epigastric junction of the strawberry which grows parallel to the ground above the soil and extends some distance to form roots at the apical junction and beetles upwards. It’s called Runner. Strawberries breed through runners. Therefore, the previous year’s tree should be uprooted from the ground and planted in a light shady place rich in organic matter.
When the roots emerge in the runner from the tree, it should be cut and put in a seed bed or polythene bag with 50% organic manure and 50% polymer and stored in a light shaded nursery. Before planting runner, soil of seed bed or poly bag should be cleaned. Spreading 15 cm thick rice husk or saw-dust (saw mill powder) on the seed bed and burning it in it destroys the germs in the seed bed soil.
Before use in poly bag, it is possible to spread a mixture of soil and organic manure 15 cm thick and spread 15 cm thick rice husk or so-dust (saw mill powder) on it and purify it with fire. Polythene canopy should be provided on the seedlings during the rainy season to protect them from excessive rains. Strawberry yields gradually decline as they are propagated through runners. Therefore, in order to maintain the productivity of the variety, it is better to produce seedlings through tissue culture every year.
Land preparation and planting of seedlings:
In order to produce strawberries, it is necessary to cultivate the land several times and remove the weeds, especially perennial weeds. 15-20 days before planting the seedlings in the land, if the bleaching powder is sprayed at the rate of 30 gm-percent and mixed well with the soil, the soil borne pathogens are destroyed. Strawberry beds can be cultivated in a flat system.
However, in order to cultivate in Fatigation method, bed method has to be followed. For this you need to make a bed 1 meter wide and 10-15 cm high. There should be a 30-50 cm groove between the two beds. Seedlings should be planted 20-40 cm apart in two rows at a distance of 30-50 cm in each bed. Seedlings should be planted thin for early planting and dense for nabi planting. Ashwin month (mid-September to mid-October) is the best time to plant strawberry saplings in Bangladesh. However, seedlings can be planted till November-December.
Amount of Fertilizer and Method of Application: In order to get high yield of quality, regular moderate amount of fertilizer should be applied on strawberry land. For medium fertile land 30 tons of decomposed dung, 250 kg urea, 165 kg TSP, 200 kg MOP, 115 kg gypsum, 12 kg boric acid and 6 kg zinc sulphate fertilizer can be applied per hectare.
During the last tillage, complete dung, TSP, gypsum, boric acid and zinc sulphate fertilizers should be sprinkled on the soil and mixed well with the soil. For fertilization method 200 kg urea and 150 kg MOP fertilizer should be applied by drip irrigation mixed with irrigation water in 5-6 consecutive installments 15-20 days after planting.
Water Irrigation and Drainage:
If there is a shortage of sap in the land, it is necessary to irrigate it as required. Strawberries cannot tolerate waterlogging at all. Therefore, it is necessary to make arrangements for quick drainage of excess rain or irrigation water. In the method of fertilization, irrigation water is applied directly to the base of the tree by dripping through the tube. As a result moderate use of water is ensured and there is no possibility of waterlogging due to irrigation.
Application and care of mulch:
Mulch is essential in strawberry production because when it comes in direct contact with soil, the fruit of strawberry rots. In the beginning of strawberry cultivation, it was used as mulch, hence the name strawberry. 20-25 days after planting, strawberry beds should be covered with straw or black polythene. Care should be taken so that the ants do not attack the straw.
Mix 3 ml of Darsban 20 EC and 2 g of Bavistin DF per liter of water and dilute the straw in that solution. Strawberry lands should always be kept free from weeds. Runners come out regularly from the base of the tree. Those runners have to be cut every 10-15 days. If the runner is not cut, the flower and fruit production of the tree decreases.
Production of strawberries by fertigation method:
In fertilization method chemical fertilizer is mixed with water and applied to the crop. Fertilizers that are soluble in water can be used in fertigation method. As a result, the required fertilizer and water of the crop can be supplied together at the base of the tree. Fertilization method ensures moderate use of fertilizers and irrigation in crop production and yield increases by 25-40 percent over conventional methods.
By cultivating in this way, it is possible to increase the yield of strawberries by 20 to 50 percent. This method requires 45-550 percent fertilizer and 45-50 percent less fertilizer. In addition to saving fertilizer and water, the role of fertilization method is also very important in conserving the environment. As a result of application at the beginning of the crop in a controlled environment, almost all of the applied fertilizers are absorbed by the plants. As a result, unused fertilizers do not contaminate surface and ground water.
Production of crops in this manner reduces the spread of soil and water borne diseases. Fertigation-drip irrigation is a very useful method for producing high value crops. About 75% of the strawberries produced worldwide are grown in a plastic-culture manner. Necessary fertilizers and water of strawberry trees are supplied in plastic culture method by fertigation method. By cultivating the crop with fertigation method, the expected yield is obtained and it is possible to get more profit.
Fertigation is a new irrigation technology for Bangladesh whose demand is gradually increasing. Although the cost of this method is high in the initial stage, it is possible to adjust the cost through long-term use. This method of irrigation and fertilizer costs 360-420 rupees per year for every 3 hundred acres of land.
Advantages of fertigation method:
- It is possible to produce 15-20 tons of strawberries per hectare by fertigation method.
- This method requires 50-55% less urea and 25% less potash than the conventional method.
- 45-48% less irrigation water is required than conventional pharaoh and flood irrigation system.
- Since there is no possibility of irrigated waterlogging in the irrigation system and water does not seep from one tree to another, the incidence of pests is less in this method than in flood or pharo irrigation method.
- The income-expenditure ratio of strawberry cultivation in fertigation method is 6: 1 and it is possible to get net profit of Rs. 18-25 lakhs per hectare by cultivating strawberries in controlled environment.
- At present all the materials of this advanced method are made locally.
- Fertilization method is very useful in saline and drought prone areas and hilly areas.
- The cost of irrigation in this method for every 5 hundred acres of land is 1200-1500 rupees per season.
- Diseases and other enemies and remedies
Leaf spot disease:
Sometimes brown spots are observed on the leaves. When this disease attacks, the yield and quality of the fruit decreases. The fungicide called Secure is mixed with 2 gm per liter of water and applied 2-3 times in 10-15 days.
This disease causes brown or black spots on the fruit which are wet with water. The spots grow rapidly and the fruit becomes unfit to eat. Before the fruits ripen, fungicide Noin 50 WP or Bavistin DF should be mixed with 2 g per liter of water and sprayed 2-3 times in 7-10 days.
The young leaves of the diseased tree fade and fall off which quickly spreads to the whole tree. When the attack is severe, the tree turns brown and dies. Crohn’s disease is caused by a fungus called Phytophthora. Infected crowns turn brown or light pink along the middle of the stem when segmented vertically along the middle. The disease is more prevalent in waterlogged lands and in humid climates.
The land should be kept dry. If you use polythene mulch, it should be removed. Dithem M45 or Ridomyl Gold 75 WP or Secure fungicide at the rate of 2 gm per liter of water should be sprayed on the roots and soil of the plant 2-3 times in a row for 10-15 days.
However, good results can be obtained by applying Ridomil Gold 75WP and Secure together. For every hectare of land, 5 kg Trichodama viridi can be mixed well with 25 kg of organic manure and applied at the base of the tree to control Crown rot, Verticillium wilt and other soil borne fungi.
Infected trees suddenly become weak and fade. When the attack is severe, the tree turns brown and dies. When the affected crown is segmented vertically along the middle, it turns a pale yellow color along the middle of the stem. The disease is more prevalent in waterlogged lands. The land should be kept dry. If you use polythene mulch, it should be removed.
15-20 days before planting the seedlings in the land, the disease germs are destroyed by spraying stable bleaching powder at the rate of 30 gm-percent and mixing it well with the soil. Copper fungicides like Bordeaux Mixer (1 ঃ 1 ঃ 10) should be sprayed 2-3 times after 8-10 days by soaking the roots and soil well. For every hectare of land, 5 kg Trichodama viridi mixed with 25 kg of organic manure and applied at the base of the tree gives good results.
Birds especially Bulbuli, Doyle, Shyama etc. are the biggest enemies of strawberries. The infestation of birds begins before the fruit is fully ripe. Birds spoil ripe and semi-ripe fruits and become unfit for human consumption.
Remedy: Birds can be repelled by using light reflective plastic or silver strip or by making noise in the garden. After the fruit comes, the whole bed should be covered with net so that the bird cannot eat the fruit.
Strawberries have reduced yield and quality due to virus attack. The virus is spread by whiteflies. The spread of the virus can be prevented by spraying the insecticide Admire 200SL at the rate of 0.25 ml per liter of water.
Strawberry yield and quality are severely disrupted by mite attack. In their attack, the leaves become tan and thick and gradually shrink. The normal growth of the plant is disrupted. Vertimec 017 EC spidericide should be mixed with 1 ml per liter of water and sprayed 2-3 times in 10 days interval.
Fruit collection and preservation
Fruit collection of Bari Strawberry-1 planted in the middle of Bhadra month starts from Poush month and lasts till Falgun month. If the fruit ripens and turns red, then the fruit has to be collected. Since the storage time of strawberries is very short, they should be wrapped with tissue paper and stored in plastic baskets or egg trays immediately after collection so that the fruits do not remain crammed.
Fruits should be marketed as soon as possible after collection. It is better to cultivate strawberries near big cities as they have low storage quality and transport tolerance.
Maternal tree maintenance
Strawberry trees cannot tolerate intense solar heat and heavy rainfall. For this, light shade should be provided in March-April. Otherwise, after harvesting the fruit, the mother plant should be picked and planted in the tub and kept in the shade.
When the fruit is harvested, healthy and vigorous trees can be picked up and planted under a polythene canopy to protect the mother tree from the effects of heat and heavy rains. Runners produced from the mother tree are later used as seedlings.
Yield: 35-40 thousand saplings can be planted per hectare. An average of 250-300 grams per hectare yields 10-12 tons of strawberries per hectare. It is possible to produce about 15-20 tons of strawberries by Fatigation method.